Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Not-So-Instant Reaction to Basketball Playoffs and A New Doomsday Prediction Already?

First my buddy, Mr. Armchair posted about boxing and horseracing as dying sports. I have a fond attachment to both, going to Del Mar Racetrack many times with my dad and watching boxing on HBO when I was a kid. It's a good post if you are interested in those sports. Please read: Where's the defibrillator?

So...the Dallas/OKC series has to be over right? How does a young inexperienced team come back from that 4th quarter collapse and two straight home losses? Even the crowd sensed it when they gave them a standing ovation and an OKC chant with seconds left in OT. Lastly, here is Kevin Durant, who looks like someone just made him watch his dog get shot, try his best Kobe impression saying the Thunder still have a chance. The problem is I don't think 1 person, even Kevin himself believed him. Here is a good photo:



I had a friend tell me that the Thunder are a couple years and one more piece away from really competing. I semi-agree with the statement but not the way he thinks. I think the team is built to win. They are a couple of years away. Durant needs to get stronger, and learn to move without the ball better. There were so many times Durant had Kidd one on one off the ball and didn't move to get the ball. Westbrook just has to grow into the role of PG. He can be a good one, but he has to grow up with Kevin and learn to play other roles besides shooter, because let's be honest, he sucks at it right now. The Thunder were up big and part of it was Westbrook's other contributions: 8 rebounds and 8 assists. Not his 7-22 shooting.

I think the piece missing isn't a player but a coach. I posted on my Facebook that I think Scott Brooks is a terrible coach and in his peaks inside the huddle on ESPN during this series and the Memphis series he gives no substantive advice. "Play Hard!" "More Defense!" "You guys are so money you don't even know it!" Even my wife laughed at the in huddles last night aired on ESPN. I think this is precisely why Durant sucks at moving off the ball and why their crunch time offense grinds to a halt. Scott Brooks needs to go, they need to find a good coach who can reign in Westbrook and diagram actual plays to get Durant open. Until they get that I think Erik Spoelstra can outcoach Brooks and thats saying something. Scott Brooks has to be a major contributing factor to the Thunder losing double digit leads like 6 times this postseason.


"I'm #1 and You Guys Are All WINNERS!" ~Scott Brooks' best coaching this postseason.

Speaking of Spoelstra, Miami is making my Chicago in 7 prediction look a little precarious. Chicago continues to play good defense, but their offense does the same grind to a halt in crunch time that OKC's does. But I actually believe Thibodeau is a good coach. I'm so confused as to why Noah and Boozer can't get 16-20 a game with Lebron and Wade worried about Deng and Rose. Joel Anthony is not that good. They need much better ball movement. If Chicago and DRose have any pride or championship moxie in them they get this game tonight. They play too much defense and they have too much overall talent on the bench and at all positions to lose 3 out of 4 games to Miami. I think they do it tonight, they have to or else I look like a complete idiot.

Lastly, I couldn't turn down an opportunity to talk about this. If you haven't seen it or read about it please watch this interview between Ray Lewis and Sal Paolantonio: EVIL. Ray Lewis looked like he was going to reach over and break Sal's neck open and drain him of his fluids. I can not imagine playing football against him when he was in his prime. He is a scary mofo.


"I just want to nibble your ear a little Sal. I'm a hungry man."

So if you are too lazy to watch it, Ray Lewis believes crime, or evil as he calls it, will rise while the lockout continues. And no, Garrett Wolfe, he is not just talking about players committing crime, but all citizens. I'm still not worried that we will miss any real time in the NFL, but this lockout has to end for the sanity of football news. Because there is zero player movements in free agency or trades, ESPN and other news outlets have to find something to keep the football interest going because really its the best selling sport in America. So then you interview Ray Lewis about the lockout and you get this craziness. You have players boxing (concussion worries anyone?), OchoCinco trying out for an MLS team, Chris Kluwe, the punter for Minnesota, is recording music albums, Tony Romo trying and failing to secure a U.S. Open (golf) bid, Donovan McNabb wants to be a college hoops analyst (he worked for Comcast SportsNet Washington for the opening round of the NCAAs this year), well you get the picture.

Of course Ray Lewis is full of shit. The NFL plays usually 2 days a week and only for 5 months a year. Is crime really that bad for the other 250 days that football isn't being played? America can divert its attention to something else if the NFL does actually go on hiatus. Of course this opens the doors for an increase in player crime. I present exhibit A: Garrett Wolfe, former backup Bears running back.


Dude got f*cked up! Apparently Wolfe didn't pay a $1,600 dollar bar tab, got drunk and disorderly and fought some off duty cops. I think Wolfe lost. Please, NFL, you are only damaging your image with the lockout and allowing your players to engage in reckless (boxing) or stupid (not paying a $1,600 bar tab) behaviors because they can't workout in your gym. Let's all grow up and move on.

3 comments:

  1. Pretty surprising how Durant can't deal w/ the double team at all, whether it's getting through it and making a shot or passing to the open man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is tough to determine what part of it is Durant's fault and what part is Scotty Brooks'. I mean they need to scheme away the double team, and scheme open looks off the ball where he can't be double teamed. He does also need to improve his recognition of the double team. You watch Dirk now, and he times his pass perfectly, sucking in the double team and then hitting the open guy with a pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, Matty. I agree that OKC is good enough talent wise to win now. I now everyone is dogging the Kendrick Perkins/Jeff Green trade, saying that OKC really miss Green right now and his ability to be an additional scorer, but I still think that trade will work out in OKC's favor.

    And Chicago needs to get something out of their other wing players. Boozer will get his, but I can't see Joakim Noah scored 16-20 points. He is not that type of player/scorer. Most of his points are going to come off of the deep (very deep) post, put backs, and the free throw line. I think we are looking at a Dallas v. Miami Finals.

    For Dirk, J.Kidd (Go Cal Bears!!), and The Professor, I can become a Mavs fan for two weeks. I'm sure your Mavs Championship t-shirt will go well with your Giants hat on the softball field (Sorry, couldn't resist).

    ReplyDelete