Wednesday, May 11, 2011

I Need No Introduction

So I had been tinkering with the idea of starting a sports blog for about 5+ years now. Between law school and pure procrastination I just never chose to to start one. After all, I do all of my meaningful sports-related pontification at bars after I've had at least a few beers. Two factors have influenced me to start one today. Well three, actually. I'm home sick from work today. The other two factors are blogs that have been recently started by people I know. My wife started a blog related mostly to animals and her thoughts and practices in the animal training world. If you are interested in such things go here. My friend and old man softball manager started one last month and so of course I would love to add to the glut of sports blogs. Of course, he and I share far different biases and I doubt starting my blog so soon after his will trample his toes. Check him out here. His most recent post is a suggestion for the future of the Lakers following their embarrassing defeat to my beloved Mavericks, which seems to be a favorite topic for pundits these days, but his approach is one I haven't really heard in the mainstream yet. Check him out!

On to my introduction. In the real world I am a lawyer defending the rights of those who cant defend themselves. At least thats what I like to believe. While I like the law, its not my true passion. Sports has always been my true passion. In fact if I had a time machine I would do whatever it took to be a sports writer. Since I could pick up and read the Dallas Morning News sports section when I was 5 I have been hooked on sports. I have played them since I was 5, I have watched them since I was 5, and I have read about them since I was 5. Since I lived in Dallas at this time, I picked up all of their teams as my own and hence most of my sports bias. I started following college sports when I was in 6th grade, and while I lived in San Diego I couldnt adopt the Aztecs as my own. So I researched my favorite athlete, Emmitt Smith, and found out he went to the University of Florida, and I have religiously followed the Gators for the last 17 years.

In addition to having teams to root for I have played all the major fantasy sports since 2000, and actually when my dad did fantasy football when I was in middle school and high school, I helped him out with his drafts. Fantasy is mainstream now, but when i started it, it was only for stat nerds. But, more than anything else fantasy has really elevated my global knowledge of a game beyond what I watch on TV or read on the internet.

As my title indicates I will likely only focus on sports that have a ball. So hockey, NASCAR, UFC, you guys are out. Sorry to all my buddies who are Sharks fans who are now sweating bullets going to a Game 7 when they had a 3-0 series lead against the Red Wings. While I have a Dallas bias, I will likely update this thing whenever I feel I need to post something, whether it is Dallas related or not. I hope anyone who reads this enjoys the ride!

1 comment: