Friday, June 10, 2011

Fan or FANatic?

A week since I last posted? I'm letting you guys down. My boy, Mr. Armchair, has been pumping them out. If you are interested in the Buster Posey play at the plate, the Ohio State mess, or LeBron please go check him out here. Again, since I have not been doing a post after every finals game, I won't do a major recap here. Just a few key points:

1. My Pick is Alive! - I picked Dallas in six. Dallas has a very good shot to do this in six. I may be crazy but I thought during the introductions Miami looked pretty tight, and in fact they came out and played tight. 2 full days of LeBron bashing and questions about themselves may exacerbate it. I think Miami plays too tight and loses Game 6.

2. LeBron is not Michael. LeBron is not Kobe. LeBron is not even Wade. In fact, I will say it, if their career arcs continue this way, Wade would be ranked higher all time on my list than LeBron. LeBron is Dr. J 2.0. Athletic freak of nature who relies on this to get by, but in no way does he have the same packages as Kobe, Michael or even Wade. Of course, maybe he's tired, or he's hurt, but so is Wade and so is Dirk. LeBron just doesn't have the same makeup.

3. Chris Boshtrich sucks. Sure he went 19 and 10 last night but was -13 on the floor and got abused yet again on a go ahead driving dunk by Dirk. Should never have signed him and used the 100 mil on two or three other decent pieces.

4. If Dallas has finally found their shot, this series is over. The first four games saw Dallas get a bunch of good open looks and not convert. It was the most frustrating thing ever. Last night wasn't. Miami can't win if Dallas gets and hits those same looks.

Alright on to the real post. Again this is a post request from a loyal follower, so if you ever have post requests don't hesitate to ask. I will be happy to write on anything within the scope of this blog. I think this should have been one of my first posts, but it took awhile to form in my head. The rules of fandom, why bandwagon fans are acceptable and what it means to be a fan. One of my favorite sportswriters has already written a fan manifesto that is ever evolving. Check it out here. It's a funny read. I may repeat some but only because I truly believe them, and also because you may not go read the article.

Like Simmons, I think I shall slap together some rules in an incoherent order:

1. If you only like a certain player you can not be a fan of the team. Example, my law clerk has a good friend who is a big LeBron James fan. For that reason he claimed to be a "big" Cavaliers fan. The second, LeBron jumped ship he became a "big" Heat fan. This is the worst kind of person. You can have favorite players on favorite teams but you can not have a favorite player and then have whatever team he is on be your favorite. A better example of this is a good friend I have who is a big Troy Polamalu fan. He likes watching Steelers games, but only because of Troy and he would never consider himself a Steelers fan.

2. If you live in a city that fields two teams in the same sport pick one. You are supposed to live and die with your team (more on this later). If you genuinely think you can't lose because both your city teams are playing each other then you aren't a fan. You can not be a Yankees and Mets fan. You can not be an A's and Giants fan. There is no way you should be a Jets and Giants fan, and if you are legitimately a Clippers fan don't you dare jump on the Lakers bandwagon during the playoffs.

3. If you don't follow a sport, but a friend does, don't talk shit about your friend's team. I get this crap sometimes from people who don't follow college football and then talk shit when the Gators lose. It's dumb and pointless. I don't follow hockey but have several friends who are Sharks fans, I left them alone.

4. Your team needs to come from a place that can be regarded as your hometown. For me, I learned about sports when I was 5 and living in Dallas I adopted their teams and was lucky enough to see a game in each stadium of their baseball, basketball and football teams before I was moved to San Diego at age 8. But I took my teams with me. Sure i followed San Diego teams and became somewhat of a sports bigamist (more in the next rule) but I had my teams from my first sports home town (I was born in Baton Rouge, LA and moved from there when I was 3) and never gave them up. You can not live in Sacramento and be a Lakers fan without good reason. You can't just say well LA is in California I'm a Lakers fan. That's a frontrunner fan and ranks among the worst kind of people. I will issue one caveat though. If you live in a city without a team, you do not have to be a regional fan. If you live in Vegas you don't have to be a LA or SD fan even though they are the closest cities with teams to them (unless you consider Arizona close as well). You can pick any team, but stick with that team forever, don't waffle just because you don't have a hometown team.

5. If you lived in one town and adopted their teams and then make a long term move to another sports town I find it acceptable to be a fan of that team in certain situations. The teams need to not play in the same league or conference, nor should they have a significant rivalry if one exists. If you come from Oakland as a Warriors fan and move to Sacramento you can not also cheer for Sacramento period. However if you are a Rangers fan and move to San Diego you may also cheer for the Padres unless they ever play each other. I think sports bigamy is ok in these instances, but your new team should never override your old team even if the new team is out performing the old team.

6. Fan is derived from the term fanatic. I fully believe you should live and die with your teams. If your team wins you should feel like you won. If your team lost you should hate it. Fan spend time, money, and energy following sports and they should act as if they really are a part of the team.

7. While fans should feel like they are part of team, they shouldn't be over-the-top homers or over-the top cynics. For the latter, Philadelphia and New York fans are the worst for this. They are so quick to boo I wouldn't want to play for any team in those areas unless they made me a godfather offer that allowed me to sleep on a bed of money. It's as if those fans take pride in the fact that they aren't homers and show it by booing mercilessly. On the flip side, fans are responsible for holding their teams and its respective players accountable. Too often fans blame everything other than their own players or management and it's obnoxious. It's ok to be a fan and call out your players.

8. Bandwagon fans are ok. They don't earn respect but they are ok. Too often you hear from fans of some underground indie band complain about the new fans, as if being one of the first fans of the band is some great personal accomplishment. That's stupid. If you are a fan of some band you should want more fans of the band to increase the successes and accomplishment of that band you love so much. The same goes for sports and teams. A lot of hard core EPL fans resent casual soccer fans the same way those indie band fans resent new more mainstream fans. It's as if they feel they have a proprietary right to the sport and the non hardcore fans will ruin the sport. I live in a city with only one sports team and I would easily classify the fan base as mostly bandwagon. But when they are on the wagon, it does nothing but benefit the team. It increases the teams revenue, it holds the team accountable for putting successful products on the field/court, and it generates buzz. Of course, you should always stick with your team through thick and thin, but if you are going to be bandwagon fan at least don't be a front running fan. Don't cheer for another team while yours is down. But ultimately, I have no problem with bandwagon fans, not everyone can really devote time, money, and energy to sports, but they do fill in those gaps and make the good times that much better.

9. If you have no rooting interest root for validation. Mr. Armchair wrote this in his blog before the NBA Finals (link above) and i agree with it mostly. Jason Kidd and Dirk Nowitzki have played instant HOF careers but are missing the one thing they need to cement the legacy. Being called champions. It's ok to root for these guys if they aren't your rivals or a team that may not live up to rival status but you have good reason for hating. If anyone in San Antonio or Houston is cheering for Dallas for validation that breaks rule number 10. If Yao Ming had a legendary career by year 13 in Houston but no title, I still wouldn't cheer for him. But, for instance I did cheer for Drew Brees two years ago. First, he was mishandled in San Diego so I had an attachment to him as a player. Second, he played for the Saints which isn't a rival or a team that has caused problems for the Cowboys leading up to that Super Bowl. But I wanted Brees validated and I was indifferent otherwise to the game. Cheering for validation within these limits should be acceptable as a fan.

10. You should openly hate your rival. This is what makes sports fun. Too much is made about people being haters. If you love a team and hate it team it gives you double excitement. You get to cheer madly for your team to win and you get to cheer madly for your rival to fail. Under no circumstances should you ever cheer for your rival unless it directly helps your team or for whatever reason you bet on them (try to keep that to a minimum). I hate the A's and actually consider them my baseball rival. But I will cheer for them to beat Seattle if Seattle continues to sit up Texas' butt in the division standings. Every team has a "rival" even if it's not historically documented. The Nationals may not have an obvious rival but those fans have surely got to be sick of hearing about how great Philadelphia and Atlanta are every year.

Those 10 rules are really what I consider important being a FANatic in the rules of fandom, and whenever they are broken it does irritate me. Agree or disagree? What does being a fan mean to you? Do you have a personal fandom rule that you really hate seeing broken? Post it below!

7 comments:

  1. Strongly agree w/ #8.

    Question regarding #1: What if your team adds a player that you absolutely hate? Can you hate the team while he is part of the roster and then go back to loving it after he leaves?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dwyane "COUGH" WadeJune 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM

    Rule 11. You can't like a college team just because you fell in love with a person that played professional sports that went to that college. My friend really likes the Dallas Cowboys and he loved Emmitt Smith, therefore he researched where he went and found out it was Florida, and that was made his favorite college. NO. Your favorite college should be SMU! OR TEXAS! OR LSU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim, good point. Fandom is about the team, not the player. I hated TO's guts, but tolerated him while he was wearing that uniform. The team is always greater than the player, just hate the player. Lord knows every one of my teams has players i hate, and can't wait for them to leave.

    To you Mr. Wade, I must first remind you that you got hurt by Brian Cardinal. You lose a lot of credibility there. Addressing that, it is true that is why I am a Florida fan. However, I did that when i was 12 years old, before they became a juggernaut. I wasn't even aware of college sports when i left Baton Rouge and Dallas, so those teams are out. I COULD be an SDSU fan but I think college sports are different. There are so many schools and many of them are in minor conferences, with minor programs. I mean we arent talking about choosing 1 of 30 teams all with similar talents. I stand by my choice. Of course, if I ended up going to FSU when i was 18 I couldn't justify my fandom anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, in regards to your opening comments: I just don't see either team winning 3 games in a row even if they played 20 straight. During these playoffs the Heat have played better after having additional days rest, which they will have going into game 6. I say this series comes down to the final 4-6 minutes of Game 7.
    And I don't think it was ever fair to compare LeBron to Jordan. Their games are not similar. Kobe's game is much more like Jordan's.

    I always like pieces on rules of being a fan. Especially being a person who has always stuck by my team(s) since childhood and have endured mostly rough years/seasons. I really like #2. I hate when people say they are fans of both the A's and Giants or Niners and Raiders. The worst piece of sports attire ever made was that awful half A's/half Giants hat. Pissess me off anytime I see it.

    Just curious, how do you consider the A's the Rangers rival? When was the last time those two battled for a division? I don't know any A's fan who would consider the Rangers a rival...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bandwagon fan is an oxymoron. You can get excited about a team when they are winning but don't call yourself a fan. Better than front runners but not fans.

    I think the band analogy is weak. Most people have never heard of the underground / indie band and when they do then they become fans. The same can't be said for a sports team.

    I do agree with the don't get angry bit though.

    I think college sports should either be hometown or alumni.

    I don't believe in the whole rivalry thing. Root for your team and leave it at that. No need to hate.

    Extra rule. Don't root against or talk shit about a team because they beat your team. I never understood this. Why say a team sucks right after they beat your team. What does that say about your team and better your team lost to the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rule 11 - Booing your own team. I never understood why people would boo their own team at home games. If you are truly a fan, you would never boo your team under any circumstances. Complain, yes. Yell, maybe. Flat out boo, never. I don't care how much you paid for the ticket and how poor the team is playing, NEVER BOO YOUR TEAM.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regarding 3: I can talk shit all I want because it isn't about the team. The Gators will forever suck as long as YOU are a fan. It's like Polamalu. It's about you, not the team. I root against you and that just happens to include all of your teams.

    ReplyDelete